Friday, October 26, 2007

Health Club Rip-Off

Fitness Edge, now called The Edge, is the local health club here in CT. I'd been a member since the year 2000. I started my membership with approx. $55/month. I liked the club so much that even had my family enroll and about seven of my friends.

Since I moved to a different city and due to my busy work schedule, I hadn't been to the gym for about three months. I called to cancel my membership in June 2006. They told me to write them a letter, which I did. I find out, that they canceled all the other accounts (my family's) but mine. Well, I called them again. They made me write another letter, which I did! During this time, due to competition with Planet Fitness, a much better club, The Edge reduced its fees to $9.99/month. And again, during this period, they still charged me $55 plus $30 (for God knows what) making it a total of $85 despite my regular plea to get me out of the membership!!!

I wrote a final letter this year in July, a certified mail so they could make no excuse that they hadn't heard from me. Everything was set. The automatic disappearance of $85 stopped from my account! I was relieved!

Well three months down the road, I get a bill from a collection agency stating that I still owed them $252, despite the fact that I had stayed current with my payment!! When questioned, they said I was still liable for 30 to 90 days of payment even after they received the letter! how ridiculous was that? According to them, it was all mentioned in the contract printed in fonts barely visible to human eye!

I joined the gym to lose a few pounds. But not attending the gym and dealing with the stress they bestow when you want to get out seemed a better remedy. I'm much leaner than when I joined The Edge! Despite the trouble, Id line to thank THE EDGE!

2 comments:

Porsche said...

Hey! What a rip off! some people will do anything to get your money.

I'm in CT too! I've been meaning to stop by your blog so here I am!

Good luck!

http://www.pbnjunk.com

1 Black Woman's Voice said...

Hi Hansu,

I've been down that road before. I had the same experience with a Fitness center in Va. They don't point out the requirements for cancellation when you sign on for membership. I have since learned from my mistake (and many others) to always read the fine print. Not only is that "Just the Way Life is", it is also one of life's many painful financial lessons. Just learn from it and try not to make the same mistake again.
Most contracts do require a 1 to 2 year committment.