Monday, November 26, 2007

The Fear Lingers on!

Yet another friend of mine got married! Once we start approaching the age of thirty, I assume we have that constant urge to tie the knot! But is it important? Do we really have to get married? Isn’t marriage just a legal name for a relationship?

I am uncertain myself. Every time I hear of an acquaintance’s wedding, a hundred questions linger in my head and an uncertain fear halos above and around me. I was at the wedding ceremony of a friend yesterday. One of his jocular brother-in-law asked the bride to hold out her hand and then requested the groom to place his hand over hers. He then told him to enjoy the moment as this would be the last time he would ever have an upper hand. All the men in the room applauded trying to savor the bitter sweet truth about their own wedded life. Do women really control their men after marriage? “If men are the head of the family, women are the neck”, as said in the movie ‘My Big Fat Greek Wedding’ hold true to its words?

The Fear still lingers!

8 comments:

Rose DesRochers said...

What is it you're scared of?

Rosedesrochers.todays-woman.net

LB said...

Marriage is your commitment to another to stay with them no matter what. I have realtionships with lots of people, but I'm only married to one of them.

Checked out your blog, so check out mine.
Viewer Participation TeleVision
If you want to do a link exchange, reply to this comment and I will get an email alert.

CharmaineZoe said...

Marriage is the ultimate commitment to someone. Never make that commitment unless you are absolutely sure this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. It doesn't have to be a big flashy wedding. This is just something between you & him ultimately, but to marry someone is a very special commitment and says something important about the relationship you have with one another. After all, you promise to forsake all others until death do you part - heavy or what? 2 become 1 so important to choose the right 1 :-)

Clark said...

He's probably scared of you, Rose. ;0)

Don't take the ribbing and jokes too seriously. Marriage involves a lot of compromise but it isn't a jail sentence.

Elise said...

"men are the head of the family but women are the neck"

I would love to believe that but I don't think its true..

I think who ever takes charge of the tv reomte control has the upper hand. And most of the time its the husband.

x

Praneeta said...

i think you might just have to figure it out your self!!!!

Amanda said...

Haha, I don't know what to think about marriage sometimes. I'm all for it someday, but not anytime soon.

Don't let age dictate when you get married. Get married when you want to, when you can really see yourself as part of a team.

I think people take things to extremes now: either obsessed with getting married or totally opposed to it. There's an in between I think: you'll get married when it's the right time.

By the way, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Hopefully you'll continue to read and let me know what you think of the topics. I'll be checking here from time to time, I like what you write.

~Amanda

Book Calendar said...

No, you don't have to. But, you may want to. It depends on what you are looking for in life.