Monday, January 21, 2008

Greed!

It’s quite unbelievable how greedy people can get! After my undergraduate degree, due to the poor job market, I landed up opening a Subway sandwich restaurant. This was the first business I ever owned and had an indistinguishable inspiration about the way to run a business and the utility bills that it incurred. I always disdained the reality that we had high utility bills and did my best to control it. Alas, in vain!

However, I sold the store last year, not sorely due to this cause but due to other issues too. Well, I was relieved it was sold. Now there would be no worries about astounding bills to deal with. After several months of ownership, the new owner discovered the fact that the landlord was stealing utilities in my expense! I had never taken my doubts to the extent to suspect the landlord, a man, well reputed in the community, owning more than a dozen motels, gas stations, construction companies, luxury cars such as BMW, Lexus, Hummer H2, Mercedes Benz S500, Porsche Cayenne, Cadillac Escalade etc (these are the few that I have seen him driving) and of course a beautiful wife, of degrading himself to this extent.

The store lay within his motel complex. The motel’s laundry room and a few of his suites with Jacuzzi were linked to my store’s electricity and heat bill. The store ran a heat bill of approximately $500 in the month of July last year!! Curious as he was, the new owner hired some professionals and dug into the fact and discovered some illegal pipe lines and wires in un-welcomed locations!

Darn you stingy millionaire!

No comments: